Welcome to the SWAMP
Software is a crucial component of daily living, affecting our privacy, worldwide economic structures, and the services we depend on every day. With the increasing rate of security breaches, today’s applications need to be built more securely at the code level, and that code needs to be tested regularly. The Software Assurance Marketplace was developed to make it easier to consistently test the quality and security of these applications and bring a transformative change to the software assurance landscape by reducing the number of weaknesses deployed in software.
There are two ways to use the SWAMP: the ready-to-use cloud computing platform at mir-swamp.org or the SWAMP-in-a-Box (SiB) open-source distribution that is downloadable from GitHub. Both are available at no-cost to you and include an array of open-source and commercial software security testing tools as well as a comprehensive results viewer to simplify vulnerability remediation. Each also supports an API, allowing you to integrate the SWAMP into existing software development workflows.
- MIR-SWAMP supports software assurance with minimal fuss and is a good way to try out the SWAMP either for use as part of a class or regular day-to-day usage. It also offers a library of applications with known vulnerabilities, enabling tool developers to improve the effectiveness of their own static and dynamic testing tools.
- SWAMP-in-a-Box can be deployed on your own servers if you have higher security or compliance requirements for your software or, being open-source, when you want to customize the software.
- The SWAMP team from Indiana University will be presenting at the 2017 Statewide IT Conference at IU Bloomington. “SWAMP: Software assurance at IU” is scheduled during Breakout Session 5 at 9:00am on Friday, October 20, 2017. Register here.
- Bart Miller will be teaching at the O’Reilly Security Conference in New York City on Monday, October 30, 2017. The tutorial, “Secure Coding Practices and Automated Assessment Tools,” will be from 9:00am to 12:30pm Eastern. Register for the conference here.
- The SWAMP team will be at DevOpsDays Madison on October 30-31, 2017 at the Overture Center for the Arts in Madison, WI. Register for the event.
- The SWAMP team will be exhibiting at OSCON 2018 on July 16-19, 2018. We’re excited to be coming back to Portland, OR!